O'Neal Flying Field
O'Neal Flying Field was operated in the late 1940s by William S. O'Neal Jr. O'Neal purchased the property on October 22, 1946 and established an private airport and Civil Air Patrol flight center. During the dedication on June 1, 1947, two people were killed by a light plane crashing during the associated air show. This led to O'Neal Flying Service being sued in 1949 by the family of the plane's passenger. O'Neal Flying Service later became the Raleigh Flying Service, and in 1951 the property was sold to create the Southland (Later Raleigh) Speedway.
For more information on historic airfields in the Raleigh area please visit Mike Legeros' site here.